ธันวาคม 09, 2021, 07:41:18 AM
ข่าว: กลับสู่เว็บไซต์ www.nicaonline.com
หน้า: [1]   ลงล่าง
ผู้เขียน หัวข้อ: Thailand; Shrimp sales boom despite strong baht and AD tariffs  (อ่าน 2835 ครั้ง)
0 สมาชิก และ 41 บุคคลทั่วไป กำลังดูหัวข้อนี้
Nicaonline
Nicaonline
Administrator
YaBB God
*****

Karma: -1
ออฟไลน์ ออฟไลน์

กระทู้: 2685



ดูรายละเอียด
« เมื่อ: ธันวาคม 08, 2006, 09:24:22 PM »

Source: Bangkok Post  World News    8/12/2006 20:08:18

 
Despite an appreciating currency and new trade barriers imposed by key markets, Thai shrimp exports have risen strongly with 286,536 tonnes in shipments, or 25% higher than at the same time last year.

In value terms, exports to date were worth more than 71 billion baht, or up 23% from last year.

Shrimpers are also confident that their exports for the entire year would meet 340,000 tonnes and fetch 80 billion baht thanks to a huge local supply.

This has been a golden year for Thai shrimp production, as the volume is likely to reach 520,000 tonnes, reflecting advances in farming techniques, according to Somsak Paneetatyasai, president of the Thai Shrimp Association.

Two years earlier, Thailand's shrimp production stood at 360,000 tonnes, represented equally by black tiger prawns and white shrimp, also known as penaeus vannamei. Last year, 95% of the supply was white shrimp, leaving only 5% for black tiger and sea-caught prawns.

''Next year, we expect production to rise by 20% on top of the 520,000 tonnes produced this year,'' Mr Somsak said.

Shrimp exports next year would rise at the same level accordingly and could reach 100 billion baht if the baht is not too strong, he said.

The United States remains the largest market, buying up to 55% of total shipments even though Thai shrimp face anti-dumping duties of between 5.79% and 6.82% of a shipment's value, plus double taxation in the form of bonds that exporters must place. The bonds, equivalent to the expected amount of anti-dumping duties, are not refundable until the penalties expire in mid-2007.

An industry source said white shrimp farming has boomed in the past few years after the government allowed broodstock to be imported from Hawaii. The variety offers especially high yield of up to 2,000 kilogrammes per rai, compared to about 600 to 700 kg for black tiger prawns,

''In the past, farmers had to depend on smuggled white shrimp breeding stock from fisheries off the coast of Burma and Indonesia,'' the source said.

However, soaring white shrimp supplies have brought down domestic prices to about 115 baht for 60 head/kg size shrimp, compared with 125 baht in Vietnam and 135 baht in China. Higher production should shield farmers from falling prices, Mr Somsak said.

Source or related URL: http://www.bangkokpost.com
 
บันทึกการเข้า

ความรู้ ข่าวสาร สร้างปัญญา

หน้า: [1]   ขึ้นบน
พิมพ์
 
กระโดดไป: